Our definition of a group is a group of performers, performing at the same time, in the same place in the one group.
There are two ways performing groups can be registered with Duck for Cover:
GA cover – if all the performers have joined Duck as individual members, a group (or more than one group) can be registered with Duck for Cover at no extra cost.
community performing group and theatre group cover – if you are a performing group consisting of musicians, singers or dancers, or a theatre group, you can register your group can join Duck for Cover as a performing group. This will cover the performers in your performing group, but they will only be covered while they are working with your performing group
The type of cover which will suit your group best depends on a couple of factors: how many members you have, your performance activities, whether the group line-up is stable or may change, and whether you or any performers in your group need cover for teaching and workshops.
If there are four or less than four regular members of your group, or your members would like to be covered individually for their other performing work, or for teaching or workshops, GROUP COVER (GA) will be remain your best option as all Group members will be covered individually for performing as well as teaching. Performers can also take out Personal Accident and/or Equipment cover if they wish.
If you are a Community Performing group performing in the following activities (Musicians, Singers or Dancers) or Theatre Group (Actors/Theatre Performance) that performs together, and you do not need to cover individuals’ performing or teaching activities, THEATRE GROUP COVER (TG) or COMMUNITY PERFORMING GROUP COVER (CPG) may suit you better.
how community performing group and theatre group cover works
- Your performing group earns up to, but not more than, $400,000 per annum.
- Your performing group is registered with Duck for Cover. Only the named group is covered.
- Your group will be covered from whenever the application is accepted until the policy ends on 4pm, 12th August 2020.
- Individual performers are not covered for performance work outside the group.
- You are covered for your performance and rehearsal time as a group.
- Teaching and workshops undertaken by the group are covered.
- Public Liability cover is for $30,000,000.
- Hiring a venue with less than 500 attendees for the staging of a performance by the group is covered.
- The first $500 of any Property Damage claims is payable by you ($0 excess for Bodily Injury claims).
- Cover is world-wide, excluding USA and Canada, for Australian citizens and permanent residents. Overseas visitors to Australia can become members of Duck for Cover BUT both the Public Liability and Personal Accident (if selected) policy will only cover them while they are performing in Australia and provided they are legally able to work in Australia.
- Audience participation as part of your performance is allowed.
- You cannot be responsible for other people's actions - make sure any contractors (other than performers and stage management) working for you have liability cover.
- No cover for Child Minding activities
- Your Duck for Cover Public Liability policy will automatically note the interest of employers, councils and venues. the difference between community performing group and theatre group cover.
- You can also cover Performing Equipment that is owned by the group. (It doesn’t cover the equipment owned by individual members.)
- Personal Accident cover is also available for groups.
teaching and workshop cover for community performing and theatre groups
Theatre Groups and Community Performing Groups can now be covered for teaching in their performance activities that their group as a group conducts.
Any member of the group who conducts teaching outside of the group would still need individual membership.
For all the detail regarding these policies, please refer to the Policy Wordings and Schedules in The Official Bits.
Theatre Group and Community Performing Group Cover applications cannot be completed online. You will need to download and fill out the forms.
Please contact the office if you have any questions.
optional performing equipment cover for theatre groups and community performing groups
This is an optional additional cover available to Theatre and Community Performing Member Groups.
Designed to cover your group's performing equipment (including electronic equipment, props & sets and costumes) while in transit or while temporarily in storage (including at home) against Theft by forcible entry into a securely locked vehicle, home or temporary storage location, collision or overturning of a vehicle carrying the items, fire, explosion, lightning or flood.
You simply select your preferred level of cover $5,000 or $10,000.
Performing Equipment includes musical and electronic equipment, props & sets and costumes.
NOTE: Personal Electronic devices (including Mobile phones, Tablets, iPads, Cameras, Laptops) will only be insured under this policy if it can be proven by the insured member that this equipment was used exclusively as mobile performing equipment.
- The policy covers your group’s performing equipment while in transit, at a venue or while temporarily in storage (including at home)
- Performing Equipment is limited to items owned by the insured member group that are used in the actual performance, rehearsal or teaching of their listed activities and are mobile and not stored at any single location (including home) for a period of more than 60 consecutive days
- Your equipment will be insured against Theft by forcible entry into a securely locked vehicle or home, venue or temporary storage location, collision or overturning of a vehicle carrying the items, Fire, explosion, lightning or flood.
- The Performing Equipment policy now automatically extends to cover Theft While Attended (limit $1,500 per member group for the insurance period).
Note: This includes cover for Theft from stage, theft while loading and unloading, theft from home.
- The Performing Equipment policy now automatically extends to cover Accidental Damage (limit $2,000 per member group for the insurance period).
- The Performing Equipment policy now automatically extends to cover World Wide cover (limited to 60 consecutive days outside Australia).
- The policy covers your Performing Equipment to a limit of the total amount claimable for the period of insurance of $5,000 or $10,000 (you decide the level of cover required).
Note: Schedules of equipment are not required. You will need to show proof of ownership when lodging a claim.
- The limit applying to any one item of equipment is $2,000.
- The policy covers all of your equipment to a total amount claimable of $5,000 or $10,000 (you decide the level of cover required)
- The limit any one item of equipment is $2000.
- The excess payable in the event of a claim will be $100 for all claims except Burglary $250, Accidental Damage $250, Theft While attended $250 and World Wide $500.
- The insurance does not cover loss or damage caused by Equipment Hire and Mechanical or Electronic Breakdown.
Note: each sum insured show is the total amount payable for all claims for that member group for the insurance year and coverage cannot be reinstated.
optional personal accident cover for theatre groups and community performing groups
This optional policy provides limited weekly income protection to your group members if they are injured while performing with your group (including direct uninterrupted travel to and from).
- The policy covers group members for an accident sustained while performing as part of your group (including direct transit to and from).
- Performing includes group rehearsals and group teaching.
- The policy covers 85% of the group member’s lost performing income to the policy limit selected.
- Volunteers will be covered while performing with the insured group and will be covered for their external income to a maximum of $250 per week.
- You can select the benefit period of 26 weeks, 52 weeks or 104 weeks (lower benefit periods are provided to members over 64 years of age and volunteer group members not in receipt of Pre-Disability Earnings non income).
- The policy covers Death & Capital Benefits (permanent injury) for the limit selected.
- The first 14 days of lost income following an accident is not insured.
- Cover is world-wide for Australian citizens and permanent residents. Overseas groups performing in Australia can become members of Duck for Cover BUT both the Public Liability and Personal Accident (if selected) policy will only cover them while they are performing in Australia and provided they are legally able to work in Australia.
- No cover is provided for Pre-existing Conditions.
For more information on the Personal Accident Cover, please refer to the Personal Accident Cover for Groups page.